Feng Shui Tips For Your Home- Part 1
Last Modified: 15 February, 2018
Buying a home is a dream and an investment, whether you’re a first time home buyer or seasoned investor. Once you have taken the big leap, decorating your home is the next step. While most people look for Vaastu compliant homes, there are some who would like to incorporate the principles of feng shui. Feng shui is a Chinese metaphysical philosophy that brings harmony to an environment. It is used to bring in the energy of health and wealth and is done using energy vibrations, ergonomics and aesthetics. Here are some simple feng shui tips you can incorporate in your home.
Your home’s front door is very important in feng shui home decorating. This is because your home gets its “chi” or positive energy through the main door. Ensuring you have a strong front door includes making sure there is no obstruction hindering the flow of energy; the doorknobs should not be rusty; your door should open without the hinges squeaking. The colour of your front door should harmonise with the feng shui element of the door’s direction.
- East or southeast facing door: Choose a colour compatible with the wood element (Green or brown)
- South facing door: Use red, orange, pink, purple, magenta or yellow to be in harmony with the fire element.
- Southwest or northeast facing door: This direction corresponds to the earth element, and the associated colours are in sandy and earthy tones.
- West or northwest facing door: The metal element affects your chi in this direction. Make sure you colour your door white or grey.
- A few other points to keep in mind include: Have your entrance door open into the house and not outwards. This ensures smooth transition of energy into your home.
- Avoid placing a mirror at the entrance as it could reflect the chi back out the door or create a sense of disorientation. Instead, place mirrors on either side of the door.
- If the entrance door is aligned with the backdoor of your home, the positive energy flowing in could flow out. You can avoid this by placing an object to obstruct its path.
According to feng shui principles, your living room represents opportunities; therefore, it is vital you keep it clutter-free. This allows energy to circulate freely without disruption. Few of the fool-proof methods to activate and enhance the chi of your living room are discussed below:
- Opt for fresh flowers. Fresh flowers can instantly boost the energy of the space and aid in aroma therapy which plays a big part in boosting the positive energy of a room.
- Enhance the look of your space with gorgeous mirrors. However, make sure your mirrors reflect positive elements like landscapes and clutter-free areas. Avoid facing the mirror towards dirt and grime.
- If your living room has paintings, make sure they are only of pleasing images.
- Ensure that the living room is well lit and ventilated. Ample lighting and flow of fresh air are key elements to increase the flow of positive energy.
- Furniture with sharp corners should be avoided as the corners are considered as “poison arrows” that enhance negativity. You can opt for rounded furniture instead that is great for feng shui and help in uplifting the look and feel of your space.
- Place an aquarium in the North side of the living room to enhance wealth and opportunity. Furthermore, you can place it in the south-east corner of the living room to attract good fortune.
- Ensure that your living room furniture doesn’t block any doors. The main sofa should be placed against a wall to give support to the occupants.
- Activate your wealth energy by placing a lamp in the corner of the room. By incorporating these elements, you also add to the charm of thoughtful design.
Just like any other room, there are a few basic principles of feng shui that need to be implemented in your bathroom as well, for a good flow of positivity throughout your home. Few of them are discussed below:
- Your bathroom must always be kept clean and dry. According to feng shui home decorating, your bathroom is the place that drains your wealth energy, so make sure your toilet lid is down at all times.
- Introduce some plants in your bathroom. Plants correspond to the water element and hence, will be able to slow the flow of your wealth draining away.
- Keep the bathroom fresh and airy with the use of a good room freshener.
- Avoid leaking taps or faucets as they are the easiest ways to drain money.
- Discard old or damaged accessories and bath products like toothbrushes.
- To avoid multiplying the dirty energy, make sure that a large mirror is not reflecting the toilet.
If you have a front garden, it is vital you maintain it well. Positive energy circulates this area before entering your home through your front door. Welcome the positivity into your home with these feng shui tips:
- While designing your garden, make sure you stay wary of any straight paths and opt for curvy designs instead. This helps in the free flow of energy. Mother Nature has no straight lines in it, and this notion should extend to your feng shui garden as well.
- You can also make your garden kid-friendly by designing a play area in it. However, make sure this area is situated in the west end of the garden, to resonate with your child’s imagination, creativity and positive energy.
- Always tend to your plants and keep your garden tidy. Opt for flowering and lush green plants. If you can’t avoid using artificial plants, ensure you wipe the leaves clean every day.
- Get rid of any wilted or dying plants as they symbolise physical or mental exhaustion. Your backyard represents health and wealth so ensure it is kept in good condition.
- Maintain any fences or boundaries that you might have in your backyard to provide support to the occupant of your home.
- Customise your garden with exquisite wind chimes for a calming and soothing effect.
Incorporating feng shui home decor is one of the many things to know before buying your dream home. If feng shui is not up your alley, read our blog on Vaastu tips for your home for a more Indian approach. No matter which one you choose, ultimately it will bring a richer sense of balance to your home and family life. Head out to Legacy to find your ideal home.