Vaastu Tips for a Happy Home
Last Modified: 15 January, 2018
There are several things to look into before buying your dream home. Today, most people prefer buying ready to move-in homes as it saves a lot of time and effort. While potential home buyers look at the amenities, credibility of the builder and the location of the project, it is important to note that Vaastu is also a vital factor to consider. Vaastu (officially called Vaastu Shastra) is a science that deals with the principles of design, layout, space arrangement, etc. It is believed to help homeowners live a blissful and prosperous life. Few of them are discussed below:
- According to Vaastu guidelines, the entrance should face the north or northeast direction. Entrance from south or west is not advisable. The reason being, infrared rays, which are injurious to health, can enter your home from this direction. East is considered the most auspicious direction for your home’s entrance. This is because the sun rises in the east and is said to bring in light and positive energy into your household.
- According to Vaastu, placing a name board outside your home is an ideal way for opportunities to reach you.
- Ensure your kitchen is in the Southeast corner of the house. If this is not possible, then the northwest corner is the second best option. However, make sure you place your gas stove in the southeast direction. This is done because the person cooking must always face east. By doing so, the health and peace of mind of the homeowner increases.
- Additionally, ensure you do not stock your kitchen with medicines. Kitchen indicates health and you do not want to put medicines there.
- Make sure your master bedroom is constructed in the southwest. If that is not possible, place your bed in such a way that you can sleep with your head towards the south. This is done to ensure sound sleep, reduce stress and tension and improve your overall health.
- According to Vaastu, it is not a good idea to keep mirrors in your bedroom. It indicates ill health. Of course, most of us have dressers in our bedrooms, and they come with mirrors. In that case, you need to make sure they’re covered with a curtain while you sleep. Also, ensure your mirror is kept away from the bed.
- Vaastu principles further explain that mirrors should only be placed on walls in the north or east. Any glass or mirror in your bedroom should not exceed a height of four to five feet. A dressing table mirror can be placed on the side of your bed. However, if it reflects a body lying down, then it is considered inauspicious.
- If you want to have a bookshelf in your bedroom, place it in the north or east corner, as per Vaastu guidelines.
- According to Vaastu, the best place for your child’s room is northeast or northwest. The sun is never in the north, so it is best to have a kid’s room window on the north-facing wall.
- Ensure you place your kid’s bed with the head facing either south or east. This will increase peace of mind. Your kid’s study table should be placed such that he or she faces the east, north or northeast corner. East is ideal as it enhances concentration.
- The north and east are preferable directions for your living room. However, if your house faces the south, then make sure your living room faces the southeast corner. Placing the door in the east or north direction will enhance health, wealth and overall progress.
- It is advisable to use light yellow, white, green or blue to paint your living room walls. Avoid black or red at all costs. Light shades invoke tranquillity. They brighten up your mood and spread the feeling of warmth and togetherness.
- If you wish to place flowers in your living room, ensure they are fresh as artificial flowers are deemed inauspicious. Avoid dried up flowers as they represent autumn and thus attract misfortune. Ornamental plants like cactus and bonsai should be avoided as they negatively impact the financial prospects of the homeowner.
- Use square or rectangular shaped furniture in the living area and avoid unbalanced shapes like circular, oval-shaped or any other shape of furniture.
- To attract peace and harmony, keep an aquarium in the house. The best direction for this would be the north or east corner of your hallway.
Now that you have all the basic principles of Vaastu, you can change your home’s décor to make the interiors look charming and thoughtful. Most houses today are constructed according to Vaastu tips, but despite that, you can run into some difficulty if you aren’t fully aware of all the rules. If you’re a first-time homebuyer, we have a handy guide for you. At Legacy, we strive to design and create spaces people aspire to live in. Choose Legacy and let us help you find your dream home.